There is something magical about finishing that first cocktail of the evening that sets the tone for the rest of the night: If it's too strong . . . you sigh, knowing you'll do something you regret, then plug on "charge of the light brigade." If it's too weak, than you know it's going to be an evening, knowing you're being uninteresting and ignored by your boyfriend's friends. If you don't notice it's gone, than you should pack up and go home right away because bad luck is one your heals. But, if it's the perfect cocktail--and I mean one that lingers in your mouth and makes you hesitate before accepting another, the one that makes your eyes sparkle as you lean to hear your neighbor's conversation--that is the beginning of a perfect night.
My cocktail of choice is a gin (bombay saphire) and tonic with a twist of real lime (the tropical variety that's orange, not green on the inside and cuts the sour with a hint of sweetness) or, if I'm feeling sophisticated an amaretto sour or an "absolutely dirty" martini from Paolo's.
If you haven't guessed already, I just finished the perfect cocktail. Though, without a neighbor's conversation to join, I instead enjoyed the view of Panama's skyline from my parent's apartment. The city is winding down for the day, the perpetual siren is going off somewhere in the distance, and I am preparing myself mentally for the ex pat community's cocktail party, then out on the town with the siblings. If my gin and tonic is any sigh, it's going to be quite a night.
Ciao! and may your first cocktail be as good as mine.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home