Sunday, January 21, 2007

Wintery stream of consciousness...

Winter has finally arrived in Washington D.C. As I gaze outside into our courtyard the snow is falling thick and steady. It looks as though there is 1/2 inch accumulated on the ground.

Though we are sad winter has decided to come for a visit, we can't help but hope that the snow continues so that we can enjoy a snow day! We have decided that if we can't make it to work tomorrow (fingers crossed) we are going to venture into Fall's Church, to seek out one of Tyler Cowen's favorite Indian restuarants, and the Bollywood theater.

In high school some of my most memorable weekends were at my friend Simrita's house. Her mother would cook us a table full of amazing northern indian food, and all the roti we could eat. We would then watch Bollywood films, which somehow still held our interest, though there were no subtitles and Simrita had to translate.

I often find that I am always looking for a replica of the amazing food I have eaten in the past. I enter every restaurant with the hope that it will be the same as somewhere I have been in the past, whether it be Simrita's kitchen, my Syrian gyro guy, or the ruccola pizzas anywhere in Italy, that amazing pasta with marinara and seafood in Trieste, or that tandoori chicken and onion naan in KL....

Wow that last sentence makes it sound like I've lived a pretty fabulous life doesn't it?! I guess I can't complain!

I'm currently reading a fabulous book that I recieved in the mail, for free this past week. Anthony Bourdain's The Nasty Bits . It is fabulous. I have never really read culinary books before, but this book is enough to make me want to read them forever! Reading about his travels, and the amazing restaurants he has had the pleasure of dining at makes me pine for that life. He travels as my family does, and how I like to travel, in seek of amazing food, and coffee. Trips with my parents are speckled with beautiful sights, in between cuppucino's and fabulous, simple meals. That is the best way to travel, admiring the view over a wonderful meal.

In light of that, we found the most perfect spot today, A cafe that embodies everything one hopes a cafe will be. Buzz in Alexandria serves Illy coffee, homemade quiche, scones, and bombes. The music is soft, a mix of jazz and relaxation, Harry Connick to Coldplay. the decorations are elegant and simple. And that wall! The main decoration is a wall that I could stare at for ages. It is a wall of decorated cabinets with open spots with large canisters of illy coffee, and the most beautiful espresso makers ever. I want them all, I actually have wanted them, since I first saw the red model in a shop window in Verona on my 19th birthday. I would go all the time just to stare at that alone!

Suffice it to say, I'm quite content and peaceful. Today has been spent in a warm cafe, reading a fabulous book while the silent snow falls outside. Let's hope tomorrow brings another culinary adventure as satisfying as today's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home